Thursday, January 14, 2010

We love to swim




While down in the Negev all week we had a few opportunities to go swimming – first on Israels southwest coast where folks had a chance to stick their toes in the in Mediterranean and then in the Dead Sea.

I’ve swam in the Mediterranean before, so I just stuck my toes in the sand there. And a dug a hole, a really deep hole. After hiking up tels all day long it was a great method for spending some contemplative time to myself. I also took some pics of people surfing and having fun in the waves.

The Dead Sea on the other hand is crazy town. It is over 30% salt content in the water there (whereas the Pacific Ocean is around 2%). It is so salty in fact that you can’t sink in the water… you jump in and you float. It’s the strangest sensation ever - it was like I had to unlearn everything I knew about swimming. You step in the water and then sit down but you don’t sink, you float up onto your back. It was as though I was lounging in the water without a floatie.





Besides floating, the Dead Sea is also useful as a mineral rich water that will supposedly heal all wounds. I tried sticking my ankle in it to see if it might help – not so much, it’s still swollen and sore. We did purchase lots of mineral rich lotions, soaps and muds to bring home though. The mineral spa supplies is a HUGE industry here and people come from all over the world to sit in the healing powers of the waters of the Dead Sea. We had great fun enjoying the sun and water after some long hikes this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment