Friday, January 22, 2010

Asians, Nigerians... tourists of all kinds


What's been really funny for me as I've wandered all over this land is the number of huge tourist groups that are also wandering around this land. Tourism in Israel is a HUGE industry... people come from literally all over the world to glimpse certain holy sites and to stand in the very footsteps of Abraham, Jesus or Mohammed.

They travel in big groups and ride on big buses and usually wear some sort of matching article of clothing (hat, vest, tshirt...) and they all wear cameras, those stupid money protector necklace things that you tuck into your shirt (but you can OBVIOUSLY see it under there) and are constantly pointing and giggling. I'm altogether entertained and amused by them. there are super charismatic ones who weep uncontrollably at certain sites. there are super nonchalant ones who try and look cool and blend in with their surroundings. there are old groups, young groups, groups of priests, rabbis, you name it, they have traveled to Israel this January.

Up in Galilee for the week I had some of my best encounters with them. First, on a boat ride across the Sea of Galilee. Fun Fact... did you know in Israel they don't call it the Sea of Galilee, that is purely a biblical term and everyone here the lake the "Chinnereth" (pronounced kin-er-it). So one morning I got up early and rode a boat across to see what I could see. I ended up on the Nigerian tourist boat, which at first smelled funny and made me nervous, but immediately because AWESOME when they put a CD of really up beat really cheesy worship music on. They all gathered in the middle of the boat and started lifting hands and singing (in english) and dancing. I didn't pay any attention to the boat ride but watched in awe all of them instead. I was extra delighted that many of them took pictures with me since they don't see many white people.

THEN we were up in Ceasarea - a sea town that I will have much more to write about later - and as we walked into the ancient theatre a HUGE group of asian tourists were standing in the middle singing and waving scarves around. A small group of my classmates and I gathered and watched and loved it. When they noticed this, they all turned and waved and then did a choreographed dance while singing "father abraham" in another language. It was a truly joyful moment for me. It's like disney land here... but much older with many more emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment