Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ancient Wine Makers


I think in my post about life in the desert I talked a little bit about the Nabateans. In case you need a refresher though, the Nabateans were this crazy people group who lived out in the middle of the desert and survived there without the possibility for agriculture or shepherding because of the roughness of the terrain and elements. They are the only known people group in the history of civilization to have lived and even thrived in the deadliest parts of the Negev.

We visited their house at Avdat a few days ago and I discovered the secret to their success: wine. There is a fully preserved only slightly reconstructed ancient wine press in the middle of their city. I was obviously delighted by this.

The ancient city of Avdat is really beautiful with spectacular views across the Negev and beautiful archways and caves dug into the side of the hill. I would have liked being a Nabatean I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment